Monday, October 16, 2006

no tzavei

The shul I used to daven at in Detroit had a lot of idiosyncrasies.
One of them is that for hakofos, each hakafa was only one song (if I
remember correctly). I've never seen that anywhere else, especially
not at the shul I daven at now, where the song changes every minute
and a half. One hakafa in Detroit was always tzavei yeshuas yainkiv,
which seemed to be the rabbi's favorite. Here, they didn't even sing
tzavei once.
One of the cool things about hakafos here is that I now have a chazaka
on chazunus for ozer dalim (not on purpose, as far as I can tell)

6 comments:

Veev said...

Oy.

docyaak said...

we sang tzavei for EVERY song

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Well - at least you have the chazaka now (your klita is approaching completeness ;-)

Anonymous said...

The real question is, did your hakafos etc. end in time to have two meals? I started at 3:30 when my guests decided birkat cohanim was close enough to done. I tend to wonder how abnormal that is.

Veev said...

Tzavei is so old they have to drag it out of mothballs every year. It's so tuneless and uninteresting.

Anonymous said...

C'mon! The lyrics mean sooooooo much to every yid. How can we ignore that? And the song? it's a matter of taste, unless you are influenced by GOYISH (secular) music, this tune is not at all boring. Don't forget we are still in Golus and our songs do have a tinge of "depression" that's what makes it a classic "Jewish" song.