Sunday, May 29, 2005

hallel with a ti

We had a very nice shabbos, 4 seminary girls (or rather 3 seminary girls and 1 other) came over. They were in Meron for lag b'omer and wanted to stay up north for shabbos. They got along well with the kids and I got to take a nap, though I don't know if those were connected in any way.

One thing I have been thinking about recently is hallel on yom haatzmaut. I am pro-state, but i don't believe that ben gurion was the messiah and I don't see any religious significance or mandate in the secular government. Therefore, hashkafically I would be against saying hallel. But for the second year in a row, I have said hallel with a bracha. Why? because I joined a religious zionist community and I figured if they were all going to hell for saying hallel, I would go with them. So I didn't go to the special non-hallel chabad minyan. It was kind of an "al tifrosh min hatzibur" sort of thing. That's done. Now I have never considered davening with a ti. But is that the same sort of thing? If that is how the community does it, is it appropriate to do it that way as well? Is there an al tifrosh kind of deal with the pronounciation?

I'm trying to get back in the saddle, slowly and surely.

4 comments:

Cosmic X said...

Shalom Rock,

I also have my problems with the Hallel so I do not know what to tell you.

As one that dovens with a "ti", I think you should continue dovenning the way you always did. Don't change your customs.

Just my two agorot.

Cosmic X said...

P.S. Love that profile!

I blogged about it here!

rockofgalilee said...

changing customs is an interesting thought though. I'll blog the thought process tommorrow.

rockofgalilee said...

DC,

We don't say hallel for every jewish yishuv that was saved though. It has been said that specific yishuvim in europe had said hallel for their specific saving day. I don't think that day was passed down to the children forever and ever.

Since I wasn't here during that time period, if it is only a thanking god for saving the people of that yishuv, then I wouldn't say it.