Monday, July 04, 2005

a moment of silence

Yesterday was the funeral of Mrs. Rennert who died in a car crash on Saturday night.

I didn't know Mrs. Rennert very well, I may have spoken to her once or twice during my 3 years at WITS. But I do know that she must have been a very special person.

I spent countless hours with her husband, Rabbi Rennert, who was in charge of the dormitory for my 11th and 12th grade years. I cannot even begin to count the times that either my roomate or I were speaking to the Rabbi at 11, 12, 1 and even 2 o'clock. While this may have been a sacrifice for the Rabbi, giving his all to the boys, the real sacrifice came from his wife, Mrs. Rennert.

In the 8 years that I have been married, I have seen what it means to a wife when her husband volunteers and goes out every night, even for a good cause that she believes in. Though I didn't know the Rennerts on a personal level, I can see the amount of sacrifice that they both put in for the well being of the yeshiva boys.

I am sorry that I was unable to make it to the funeral in NY, but living in Israel made that impossible.

I am sure that Mrs. Rennert's neshama has already risen to the highest levels of the heavens where she will sit with mother Rachel and cry and plead with Hashem to end our suffering and to bring the geula. May her death be a kapara for us all.