Monday, February 13, 2006

happy tu bshvat

For tu b'shvat my office gave each employee a large container full of dried fruits. Not even one bukser was inside. Apparantly, buksor is old ghetto jew - mishmaish (dried apricot) is new Jew.

We didn't plant a tree this year in honor, but our trees are blooming. Our almond tree, which we thought was dead, has flowers blooming. The lemons are ripe and if you want to try some good grilling, cut open a fresh lemon and stick it on a steak. Absolutely delicious. Don't forget to take off truma and maaser. Which reminds me, I think maaser changes at tu bshvat to maaser sheni. I'll have to discuss it with the rabbi again to find out exactly when to do what. I'm sure he'll tell me we've been doing it all wrong. But at least we get the trumah right, so we're not going directly to hell.
Spring is just around the corner. I'm thinking of starting some cherry tomatoes and maybe some zucchini. We'll have to see if I have time to set up an area.
There are some great tu bshvat songs that my kids learned. I thought i had never heard them because they were zionist songs, but my sister says she learned them in bais yaakov so they can't be that zionistical.

For all the chutznikim: Enjoy your bukser.

8 comments:

Robyn said...

How many tu b'shvat songs are there? I only remember one from my zionist childhood education.

rockofgalilee said...

my wife only knows one and the kids are sleeping. Maybe the other ones aren't about tu bshvat.

Robyn said...

i'm looking at this again and realizing that mishmash isn't another work for bukser... leaving me to ask what is it?

rockofgalilee said...

mishmaish is apricot. those little orange squeezy things.

Robyn said...

no, sorry, bad sentance structure. hebrew i know. i first thought bukser was another word for mishmaish, then realized from context it prolly wasn't. which leaves me with the question, what is bukser?

rockofgalilee said...

bukser is dried carob, I think. I is long and black and you chew it and chew it and chew it and chew it ...

It is totally jewish ghetto food for tu bshvat. You're not missing anything.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

bukser? C H A R U V !!!!!

And it aint golus food if it grows here!

I had a link on my blog's tu bishvat posting yesterday with over a dozen songs...

rockofgalilee said...

I've never seen anyone eating a bukser or charuv here and I would recommend you stay far away from them.
To me it will always represent what is wrong with chutz l'aretz. Celebrating Israeli tree day by eating horrible fruit.