Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The galilee hop

I admit it, I am getting fat. One of the main problems that I have noticed with Israeli society is that companies give their employees a free lunch. You may think that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but I can order as much as I want and it is not recorded anywhere. This includes pizza, so I can and have ordered a pizza and then eaten the whole thing. This coupled with the fact that I don't move at all during the day is resulting an an enlarged belly.
Thankfully, I noticed this one day when my pants seemed to be getting a little tight. I decided instead of giving in to corporate malfeasance I would have a go at fixing the situation. So I started to run in the morning. at 5. because i don't have any other time. My day right now is completely packed from beginning to end.

This is my second day doing the galillean hop and I am feeling very sore. But also very good. I didn't fall asleep at work today for a short period of time as I have been doing. Even though i got less sleep then i had gotten before.
The big problem now is the stretching. Apparantly before you run you are supposed to stretch and before you stretch you are supposed to run. I find that ridiculous, so i didn't stretch. Now my lower back hurts and I am majorly charley horsed in both legs. But I'll figure out the stretching thing and get used to it within a week or so and then I'm good.

Anyways, our brochure has actually started looking decent, so hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be able to give some more details of our upcoming business to my reading audience.

5 comments:

Just Shu said...

I've been having a similar thing happen..in detroit I had basketball on tuesday night and football on sunday morning, so I could get away with eating junk..now I eat and rarly move. I decided that I was gonna run or roller blade before shul, around 6:30..that was a few weeks ago, and so far I have yet to get out of bed before 7:30

rockofgalilee said...

I have basketball Thursday night, but apparantly that is not helping very much. I considered rollerblading, but i really don't feel that it is exercise at all. especially on the downhills.

Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, you shouldn't stretch before exercising. You actually don't want your muscles to be stretched out. You want them to be tight, so they contract nice and smoothly. But, you definitely need to stretch after-wards. When you stop running, DON'T immediately sit down and stay still, for at least a couple of minutes. Cool down by just walking around and loosening your leg muscles, by bringing the knees to the chest as you slowly walk. Then, stop, and stretch out the legs: 10 second count for each leg.
Hope that helps. Let me know if that works. I used to be a personal trainer, so I know a thing or two about this. Also, make sure to keep yourself well hydrated. Dehydration during exercise is also a leading cause for soreness in the muscles. This is b/c they're not getting enough oxygen, and are producing too much lactid acid. This is what gives your muscles that burning feeling. Exercise away, and be healthy.
-OC

2R said...

I walk to work and back almost every day. It does not seem to make a difference. It does give me time to clear my head and think things through, especially when i remember to turn off my phone ringer...

rockofgalilee said...

2r, think of where you might be if you took a bus to work which left you off in front of your building, you took the elevator up, sat down all day, ate, got up, went down the elevator and into the bus and back home where you sat down and worked on your computer.

I think the walking to work must do something.